In the comments last week I mentioned that the elk used to help me clean up the apples before the neighbors put in the campground / RV park in the upper left of this picture.
Here's a little closer look. These photos were taken on 9/12/16..., ten years ago..., and it was just about the last time they paid us a visit. They were getting the easy to reach apples in this photo session..., at other times they would rear up on their hind legs to reach the upper level apples. I have to admit that they could be kind of hard on the fences. There used to be about a four foot walk through swing gate between a couple of railroad ties that I used for corner posts in the pastures..., but the herd got spooked one time and took out one of the railroad ties trying to crowd through the open gate. Another time the herd was leaving the pastures and one cow didn't quite clear the top wire with it's hind legs and those legs caught the next lower wire and scissored her legs between the two wires. I watched her struggle on her side to free herself for a minute or two and decided that I was going to have to go up and cut some wire to free her. I didn't have to get too close before she really panicked and kicked her way free.
In more recent news..., "my" heron was back for a visit today. I tried to get to the camera while he was still in full view on the edge of the pond..., but I am old and slow these days..., and he was in the pond before I got it. You can just see his head sticking up..., eyeing the big multicolored duck.
I am still waiting for the potato skins to toughen up at bit before I dive into the dirt of the last row of spuds..., the green stocks were cut back a week ago..., I will check out the progress before my next dispatch and let you know if I am going full bore on the harvest.
For your Friday Nite Music Video I was thinking that I should post a record setting number one country song called "Choosin' Texas" by Ella Langley..., but after listening and watching the video I kind of wondered why it was such a big hit? But the lyrics "He always loved "Amarillo by Morning"..., made me think of that song..., and that it is a much better song..., by many orders of magnitude..., so here's George Strait. In the interest of full disclosure..., I posted this song once before..., and noted that I would change one word in the song..., he says, "I lost a wife and a girlfriend somewhere along the way". I would change "girlfriend" to "best friend"..., it would lend a bit of ambiguity to the song..., does he mean that he thought of his wife as his best friend..., or did he lose his wife to a man he once considered his best friend?
.jpeg)


Scott, just got back from an all gender baby shower/ bbq for Bert and Chelsea’s next addition , it was a good time. As for critters it has been an active time around the place with elk, deer , quail a lot of turkeys, and even a mid sized bear. I think they are all ready for the cooler temperatures as are us. KJ
ReplyDeleteOh My Gosh..., I guess I will be getting another Grand Niece or Nephew..., not sure how soon? I guess B & C are filling up that big house..., are you planning on putting some of those critters in the freezer in the future?
DeleteMy Grandson is doing archery right now, but no luck yet. Here in Idaho a youth can hunt all three seasons ( archery, modern firearm, or muzzleloader)until they get an elk. And Chelsea is having another girl.
ReplyDeleteTell that Grandson to get busy Kevin..., and I guess you can tell Bert to ease off now 😁
Delete