About a month ago I cleaned out my stash of potatoes from last years harvest. They were starting to get a little soft..., so I picked out about a month's worth of the best ones to eat until I figured that this year's crop would yield some worthy of harvest.
I think I timed it about right judging from the look of the first couple of plants that I pulled on Monday. That's my foot for comparison of size..., and there are a few that I would have kept for seed potatoes..., if I didn't need them to eat 🥔. The skins on this batch hadn't developed the toughness that makes for long storage..., so I will be eating this batch..., and have for the last couple of nights. And I have to admit that these new potatoes that I haven't cut the green growth back a couple weeks before harvest so the skins could toughen up for long storage properties are a bit tastier with a couple pats of real butter than those old softies that I cleaned out. Not that those old softies tasted all that bad when smothered with Hidden Ranch Dressing or Sour Cream and Salsa. I am not sure how much longer they would have been good..., but why find out when you have new potatoes at the ready?
In other news..., Scotty Green Appleseed is back on the road again. I have already delivered three of these bags to my friends with the deer in their backyard. They all appreciated this two bagger load. The apple trees are loaded like never before this year..., and after Charley Horse's little founder episode with the carrots last year I want to be sure to eliminate any chance of excess apples causing a relapse..., so I have been raking as many of these green apples off the trees as I can reach from the ground. Once those higher apples ripen up and the fall winds and storms commence I will have to be on my toes to gather more falling apples before Charley discovers them.
I even scraped the moss and mildew and algae off and shined up the old Tundra for the road trip. Charley Horse was right there through the whole ordeal..., looking over my shoulder to make sure I didn't miss any spots..., and giving me dirty looks when I got a little reckless with the spray nozzle. And he pleaded the Fifth Amendment when confronted about the big dent in the bed, just behind the passenger door. And he offered a theory that someone had backed into it at the grocery store when I was shopping there. I tried to explain that I didn't believe that ANYONE would do such a thing and not stick around to take responsibility for such an incident..., unless you were a 16 year old kid driving momma's new Oldsmobile Delta 88 with four friends who had just deposited some liquids for the first time at a place of historical significance...,
"Maggie’s Bend and Betty’s Steambath refer to a notorious historic site located along the Middle Fork of the Clearwater River, about 1.5 miles upstream from Kooskia, Idaho, along U.S. Highway 12. Operating under local names like the Riverhouse, Maggie's Bend, or Betty's Steambath, the isolated cabins operated as a well-known house of prostitution for roughly 27 years until a judge ordered it shut down and locked up by the Idaho County Sheriff in June 1975." Google citation.
and were still giddy and high on adrenaline and melatonin when we loaded up in that boat sized Olds as I backed her out of the parking lot..., until that sickening sound of breaking glass and metal crunching crashed the party. Well..., back in those days (late 60's) they still taught us in school to respect democracy..., and the unanimous chorus from all four friends was..., "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE"!!!. So..., Charley may have had a point.
But at least I took responsibility for the broken tail light..., there wasn't much else I could do anyway..., but I might not have disclosed the exact location of the incident..., and may have told a little lie..., saying that there was no damage to the other vehicle. And hey..., that might not be a lie after all..., the tail light on the Olds was about bumper height to a big 4-wheel drive pickup. But just in case the statute of limitations hasn't run out..., I am not taking any chances of going down alone..., so I am not changing names to protect the innocents..., Monte, Jerry, Rod, and Earl. 😳
Speaking of being back on the road again..., here is your Friday Nite Music Video with REO Speedwagon and a song about just that...,




Speaking of old friends. Weippe rodeo Friday night bull bash. Saw more old Weipper's in a couple of hours than I have in years. I can't believe how old they are. 🤠🐂
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOSH !!!! Who gave you permission to be out kicking up your heels on a Friday Night? And in Weippe no less !!! Hope you had a great one...., sounds like you did 👢
Delete